RFH Women’s Basketball Coach George Sourlis Announces Retirement
April 19th, 2016
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – April 19, 2016
RFH Girls Basketball Coach George Sourlis, “Top Dawg”
In Shore Conference, Announces Retirement
Rumson – Reflecting on an amazing career at Rumson-Fair Haven Regional High School, George Sourlis said “To be able to coach at your alma mater is a dream come true.”
Sourlis announced his retirement on April 13, meeting with RFH administration and players.
Over the course of 30 seasons, Sourlis led the RFH girls’ basketball team to five state championships, 14 sectional titles and a record of 653-199 – including a 22-7 record at the end of his final season. He is known as the “winning-est” basketball coach – among both boys’ and girls’ coaches — in Shore Conference history.
Among the many highlights –
- Five state championships – the Group 1 title in 1996, and four Group 2 titles in 2002, 2006, 2007, and 2009
- 18 Division Titles and 14 NJSIAA Sectional Titles, including ten consecutive titles from 2000 -2009
- Five appearances in the semi-final games of the Tournament of Champions
- A celebration of the team’s milestone 600th win in a Central A Division game against Holmdel on January 24, 2014 – during which his players presented him with a commemorative basketball
- Coaching ten players to their own milestones of earning 1,000 points
During his first season at RFH, Sourlis racked up 22 wins and coached his sister Dorothy, an outstanding player who earned a full basketball scholarship to the University of Michigan.
Dorothy had convinced her brother to help out the team, which was in need of a coach. Sourlis initially thought he would stay on board for three years and leaving upon his sister’s graduation.
Instead, he became committed to continuing on and building the team into the successful program it is today.
“Coach Sourlis has been an icon in the Shore Conference and throughout the state of New
Jersey for the past 30 years,” said Chris Lanzalotto, RFH Director of Athletics and Student
Activities. “He has done more for our school and our program than anyone else in the history of RFH athletics, and will be greatly missed.”
“There is just no way to replace a person or coach like George Sourlis.”
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT –
Mary Ann Kampfe, RFHRHS Press Release Writer
Makampfe@rumsonfairhaven.org or 908-347-8885