SPANISH HONOR SOCIETY
MEMBERSHIP: Open to qualified sophomores, juniors, and seniors
NUMBER OF MEMBERS: 80
MEETINGS: Monthly meetings and activities
CONTACT: Sra. Gauss
The "Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica" or The Spanish Honor Society is a national organization and affiliate of the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese. This society recognizes outstanding students of the language who are interested in pursuing the study of the Spanish language and Hispanic cultures. Students are selected at the end of the third marking period of their sophomore or junior year. Activities will be both service and culturally oriented. The RFH chapter is named for the Mexican author Laura Esquivel.
Spanish National Honor Society
Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica
Requirements for membership eligibility:
- Students have the opportunity to join the SHH while enrolled in Spanish III Honors, Spanish IV, Spanish IV Honors, Spanish V or AP Spanish and must be a sophomore/junior/senior.
- Students must have a minimum A average in Spanish IV and/or Spanish V, or an unweighted B average in Spanish III Honors, Spanish IV Honors, or AP Spanish for three (3) quarters of the current academic year and all of the previous academic year.
- Students must have a minimum general academic average of B.
- Students must be enrolled in the next sequential Spanish course offered to show
- continued interest in Spanish studies
Requirements to maintain membership:
- Students must maintain a minimum of 80% (B-) for Spanish Honors courses or a minimum of 90 % (A-) for regular Spanish courses.
- Students must maintain a general academic average of B.
- Students must attend a minimum of 50% of our monthly meetings.
- Students must participate in 50 % of the events and activities sponsored by the NCHS.
- Students must complete 2 school periods of tutoring or other community service-related activity per month.
- Students must pursue the study of the Spanish language in the following year of studies.